Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fire Department

I have met with the Columbia Fire Fighters union and I thanked them for their efforts. They work vigorously during their off duty hours focusing on training to make our city a safer place. The Chamber of Commerce hosted a round table discussion with the chief of police, the city prosecutor, and the Boone County Sheriff. This was very informative and I want the citizens to know that Chief Dresner headed up a program called "100 men in 100 days." Now Big Brothers and Sisters has 100 new "Big Brothers" to mentor our troubled youth. As a school teacher, I can assert that these programs work. While 100 new volunteers may seem like a lot, it doesn't even scratch the surface of what our city really needs. I want to live in a safer Columbia and programs like these will make our city a better place to live.